Welcome to the NFHiB Forum!

The forum areas you can now see are just a taster of all the content we have at NFHiB. Please register for free, to be able to read the forum areas and post for help & support.

Photo

Respect Is A Foreign Language

NOISE WOODEN FLOORS
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

psychotropicated

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

psychotropicated

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationGlos
Hello NFHiB readers. I would like to tell you my/our story.
I live in a Housing Ass' flat, in a circa 1910 house, converted to provide 5 one-bed flats {inc' basement}. I have lived here 23 years. For the first 18 years I was blessed with respectful neighbours. This type of dwelling only 'works' if everyone shows consideration/respect for one another. As a flat-dweller the odd thumps and bumps, slammed doors etc are part of daily life. Generally speaking, if a neighbour is having a 'bad day' and is inconsiderate you have to sigh, and hope they feel better soon, because we all exist in such a close proximity to one another. In 2009 a relatively new neighbour was murdered by her partner, not in our house. It was tragic & naturally distressing. As we reached the new year - 2010, myself & another neighbour found our friend/neighbour dead in his flat above me. Another one of life's tragedies. But, life continues, and somehow you have to pick yourself up and get on the best way you can. As we reached November 2010 I then lost that other neighbour to cancer..My God.!
So, jumping to 2013, we met our first NFH, who moved into the flat directly above me. From that very first day, the problems started and didn't actually stop. Non-stop music all day and all night. 3 - 4 parties every week, with upwards of 30 youngsters charging up and downstairs morning to night. Every day people shouting and roaring up to the 2nd-floor. Conversations going on daily, shouted between the street & the flat. No carpet ever put down, hence the noise on a wooden-floor directly above me was soul-destroying. The communal front door was booted open, breaking the lock, around 8 times, usually during the early hours of the morning when he returned home drunk. Although several times the Police kicked it open, followed by his flat door up above. In fact Police were here on an almost weekly basis, either looking for him or taking his flat apart. Our mail was stolen pretty much any time we didn't get there first. It comes through the main letter box, and despite having mail boxes inside the building its generally put through the main door. I must add that in previous years, it wasn't a problem because there was respect in the building. We had some of the best mountain bikes in the area thrown in our hallway - all nicked.!
Suffice to say we complained on a daily basis, and ultimately we knew he was going to be evicted. But, I don't think any of us realised what a long drawn out process that is. Also, if anyone has ever lived in this type of dwelling, where you live in such close proximity, sharing a house which although converted into flats, is actually no more than a house with bedrooms above - that's what it comes down to. So, having to bump into him or his friends on a daily basis, and the fact we had all complained...it wasn't nice at all.! Cutting it short, by the end of last year - 2013 we were free of him. Then of course its a case of picking yourself back up, once again. Which brings us to Jan' 2014, and once again the flat above me was re-let. We were told it was a young lad, who spoke very little or no English. The first week passed without incident, and we breathed a sigh of relief. Once again, time to put the events of the previous year away, and get on with things. I remember thinking what a relief it would be not to have to listen to the sickening thumps and thuds on my ceiling - that alone is enough to break the strongest of folk. Wooden floors, little or no sound insulation, on a daily basis, it had me sobbing countless times and writing my last will & testament.!
Four weeks on, and the one tenant has turned into 3 tenants. Furniture has gone up and is dragged on a daily basis over the wooden floor - my ceiling. Screaming arguments in a foreign language at all hours. Doors slammed off their hinges, furniture piled up in our downstairs hallway and also left outside on my small landing.
So...myself and other longsuffering neighbour living directly above, complained to the tenant by putting notes translated using an App' I had to download, under their door. No improvement, so further notes were placed, and then we complained to the Housing Ass'.
I can't really say any more than that, because that brings us up to the present..I couldn't help feeling completely cynical when I read the Housings 'stock standard reply' - it duly noted our concerns, and they said they would have a word etc. But, it was the last bit..which said ' If you could log any disturbances/noise etc' and having spent almost a year doing exactly that last year, and having started this year with that 'good old fashioned English spirit of getting up and going on' I now sit totally deflated, disheartened, and emotionally drained.
I will update you as the year progresses...thanks for letting me share our story.!

angee

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

angee

Entry Level Member

• Silvercard Member
  • 559 posts

Hi Psychotropicated

so sorry to hear your story ... the past sounds wearing enough without having more to contend with.

living in such close proximity to others is trying at the best of times let alone when one ends up with NsFH.

this is a great place to get support for all sorts of reasons whether it be venting or needing advice.

I am not posting any advice as I think you have everything to hand but just wanted to offer you my condolences and sympathies and wishing that the year ahead gets better by the day for you.

Take care.

Angee

psychotropicated

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

psychotropicated

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationGlos

Hi

Thank you...the original tenant; supposed to be a young lad, has now turned into FOUR tenants. Also, they are all fluent in English. Some sleep in the lounge, and some in the bedroom.! My neighbour directly above them goes to sleep listening to snoring from their lounge.!! In the meantime, I espyed a carpet going up, but unfortunately for me, it has made very little difference to the footfall on my ceiling. As for the vacumn cleaner...thats another story.

I'm not even sure how the tenancy was secured, but when the four we know know about go out; more arrive. that appears to be the story at the moment..heaven help us... :(  :unsure: 

Sky2

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

Sky2

Silvercard Member

• Silvercard Member
  • 868 posts

Do you have a car? Sometimes I sleep in my car during the warmer months to get some peace and to be able to sleep through the night. Fill a couple of hot water bottles before you go and the sleeping bag soon warms up and take a hat and eye mask. I would have thought that the tenant would need permission to sublet. I assume that you've tried ear plugs, noise cancelling headphones, ear defenders, boom buster etc.  Too many people are selfish, don't consider others and simply don't care about getting on with others.

psychotropicated

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

psychotropicated

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationGlos
Hi Everyone

I hope you are all surviving.?!

Further to this latest Tenancy, I found out only yesterday, the actual Tenant is in his 50's, but busy at work all day.!

I cannot say much more at present, suffice to say...Use your imagination, and you will no-doubt be very close.!!!

Oh Dear...It really is 'taking the P***'

Updates as/when

psychotropicated

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:02 AM

psychotropicated

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationGlos
Continuing: Here we go again..I have had two items nicked that I know of, my neighbour has had two letters nicked that she is aware of.!
We are aware that newbie is claiming/working/subletting.

I am not sure how much more I can take...

Thanks for reading

cobden28

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:46 PM

cobden28

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 71 posts

As regards security of your mail, could you not arrange to collect your mail from the post office and not have it delivered? You will have to pay for this service, but at least your post won't go astray.