Welcome to the NFHiB Forum!

The forum areas you can now see are just a taster of all the content we have at NFHiB. Please register for free, to be able to read the forum areas and post for help & support.

Photo

Meet The Animals Next Door

noise bullying banging
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

betterhalf

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

betterhalf

Entry Level Member

• Entry Level Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire

Hello, fellow NfH sufferers. My sympathies and best wishes to you all.

Our NfHs moved in 3 years ago and have been bullying us with noise ever since. Before moving in they refurbished the house, which was a big disturbance for us but having bought a semi-detached I can understand that the neighbours may need to renovate now and again. When the work ended and they moved in, I was perfectly happy to welcome them and even sent them a card to say hello.

Little did I know that it would get worse. From day 1 they started banging, partly for DIY purposes and partly for no reason at all except apparently to annoy us. Banging on the stairs, slamming doors, clattering about on the wooden floors (they removed all the carpets), and tapping on the walls (they installed switches and sockets on the party wall). The main noise problem is the stairs: they climb them like enraged gorillas with clogs on. There is one particularly energetic young woman we call Bigfoot. I make no noise at all when I climb the stairs, so I know it's possible to be considerate. And they do it 24/7. I'm frequently woken up in the middle of the night by frantic stair-stomping. If I stamp on the floor or bang on the wall, they just get louder, so I know they're doing it deliberately.

Earlier in our relationship they also used to bully me by blocking the shared driveway with their own cars and with builders' vans. I knocked on their door to complain and was met by a blank stare, as if I was speaking a foreign language. I had to deal with their builders myself, repeatedly, probably hundreds of times.

Recently the NfH has acquired a new boyfriend who has a violent temper (we call him the Bull), so things are getting even worse. He had a swearing match with my partner through the party wall a few days ago, so there is no chance of reaching a truce now. I reported Bully to the police but they didn't show up.

I've been keeping a blog since the NfHs moved in, both for my own satisfaction in letting off steam, and for possible evidential use if this comes to court. I won't post a link now because I'm not sure of this forum's etiquette rules, but I'll happily do so if people don't mind. If the NfH management are reading this, let me know if you want me to put an NfH banner on my blog and I'll see what I can do.

If you've read this far, thanks and I look forward to your comments!

Daisyboo

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

Daisyboo

Entry Level Member

• Members
  • 1 posts
Hi

This is exactly same as us. We moved in after next door 7 years ago. All very nice and pleasant at first, except we got a welcome card from neighbours partner at the time saying "welcome, now brace yourselves".

We didn't understand it at the time but we do now. He was a decent guy but left after a couple of years leaving her behind. She is a total nut job, usual bullying type...

I won't hijack your thread however I sympathise with you...the last straw for us was when she left her two big dogs barking until 1 am the other night. Our house is for sale now (we have never reported her as we knew we'd have to move) and it will sell by any means possible....we are gone!!

You have to consider whether you should do the same, I know we shouldn't have to move having done nothing wrong but sometimes it's the best option. The system is all wrong putting the onus on the aggrieved party to report the nuisance and then having to declare it for a sale! How ridiculous. There should be a different way of noise reporting.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Edited by Daisyboo, 24 July 2014 - 08:59 AM.

Sky2

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:25 PM

Sky2

Silvercard Member

• Silvercard Member
  • 882 posts

I get the hefalumping it up the stairs and the door slamming (in addition to other stuff). EH said it was 'daily living noise' . Some neighbours like to throw their weight around. When I offered recordings of the noise, EH just said that they cannot prove it is from their house. Let the NFH know that they are getting to you, and they will increase what they do. I sleep in my car if I want to be able to sleep through the night. I think that you can get soundproofing, but I don't know how expensive or effective it is.

betterhalf

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

betterhalf

Entry Level Member

• Entry Level Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire

Daisyboo: you have my sympathy. I hope your move goes well and you manage to forget about your NFH experience. My lot have quietened down a bit since I called the police, but there is still the occasional stomping in the middle of the night. Why would anybody march around in leather soles on a bare wooden floor upstairs at 4am, anway? I'm not yet at the same stage as you, as I have a few cunning (but legal) plans in mind before I give up and sell. And I have bought some noise-cancelling headphones that work wonders.

Sky2: I agree that showing how badly you are affected will only encourage them. My approach is not to show any emotion, but secretly to plan cold revenge. I'm not sure that soundproofing would work against NFH, because you can't stop vibrations travelling through walls - unless you built a completely isolated chamber on springs inside your house. I don't know about yours, but my house isn't big enough for one of those. It would be interesting to know if there is a soundproofing technique that works.

Twiggi

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

Twiggi

Entry Level Member

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationEngland

Don't for 1 minute betterhalf think that noise coming from wooden floorboards isn't reason enough to complain because it is grrrrrrrr just thinking about it makes me angry. WHY CAN'T PEOPLE TAKE THEIR SHOES OFF!  Totally sympathise with you.  My neighbours ripped their carpets up and that was just the 1st chapter of my life being robbed for years

They shouldn't just have rules for flats but for houses too in regard to flooring. Well done for moving at least you can sell.............I am stuck due to reporting, council, police and solicitor and feel in limbo every day.  We think we are doing it above board, following the right process but it doesn't pay.................and yes the law should change................why oh why do the good suffer and the bad ones get away with everything!   GRRRRRRRRRRR

Good luck for the future.

fencesitter

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

fencesitter

• Members
  • 42 posts
Hi Betterhalf,

Welcome the forum.

It seems you made the age old mistake of going 'round to complain'.

There's lots of good reading on here to help you.

ugguy

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:22 AM

ugguy

• Members
  • 6 posts

This is exactly what I have to put up with, in fact earlier on tonight the girl that lives above me was stomping around her flat for several hours. The only break from it I had was to put on my Bose noise-cancelling headphones (which cost £260) for a bit and go down to the shop down the road for a few minutes. Finally now at 1:00am she has gone to bed and the noise has stopped - until tomorrow, I expect. The strange thing is that after her bit of rough was carted away by police a few weeks ago after a commotion (see my introduction for what happened) it went pretty quiet, apart from her littl'un running around. But in the last few days she has started her stomping antics yet again. It seems that even when they stop making the noise when ordered to, they think that it only applies temporarily. :angry:

betterhalf

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:25 PM

betterhalf

Entry Level Member

• Entry Level Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire

ugguy: I have the same headphones as you. Brilliant, aren't they? But of course they are only a sticking plaster, not a cure.

Like your lot, my NfHs quieten down when I bang on the wall or my partner yells at them, but then a day later they are back to their old ways. When I (very rarely) talk to them, they act all innocent, but I can't believe that they don't know what they are doing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noise, bullying, banging